Current:Home > MarketsRFK Jr. must remain on the Michigan ballot, judge says -Capitatum
RFK Jr. must remain on the Michigan ballot, judge says
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 05:10:45
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan judge ruled that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. must remain on the November presidential ballot, dealing a blow to his crusade to strategically remove his ticket from the battleground state.
Kennedy suspended his campaign and endorsed former President Donald Trump in August. Since then, he has sought to withdraw his name in states — like Michigan — where the race could be close. At the same time, he is trying to remain on the ballot in states where he is unlikely to make a difference between Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris.
Kennedy filed a lawsuit Friday in Michigan’s Court of Claims against Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson in an effort to withdraw his name. Michigan’s election officials had previously rejected Kennedy’s notice of withdrawal.
The Associated Press asked the secretary’s office for comment on the Court of Claims order that came down Tuesday.
In a post on X earlier in the day, Benson said under Michigan law, candidates who are nominated and accept a minor party’s nomination “shall not be permitted to withdraw.”
Kennedy argued in the lawsuit that his notice of withdrawal was timely and the electorate’s votes could be “diminished and rendered invalid” if he remains on the ballot. He filed a similar lawsuit in North Carolina on Friday, where he is trying to withdraw his name from the ballot.
Michigan Court of Claims Judge Christopher P. Yates concluded that the secretary of state rightly rejected Kennedy’s request to be removed from the ballot.
“Elections are not just games, and the Secretary of State (SOS) is not obligated to honor the whims of candidates for public office,” Yates said in his opinion and order.
The Associated Press requested a comment from Kennedy’s attorneys Tuesday.
Wisconsin election officials said last week that Kennedy must remain on the ballot there, rejecting his request request to withdraw.
Last week, a different Michigan Court of Claims judge ruled that liberal independent candidate for president Cornel West must remain on the ballot, an opinion welcomed by West’s campaign.
Kennedy and West, prominent third-party candidates, are at the center of multiple legal and political battles across the country as Democrats and Republicans seek to use the impacts of third-party candidates who could take support from their opponents. Republicans allies in multiple battleground states such as Arizona and Michigan have sought to keep West on the ballot amid Democratic fears he could siphon votes from Vice President Kamala Harris.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- How New York Yankees ace Gerrit Cole fared in his 2024 debut
- Ariana Grande Addresses Fans' Shock Over Her Voice Change
- Kristin Cavallari Sets Record Straight on Her Boob Job and Tummy Tuck Rumors
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Romanian national pleads guilty to home invasion at Connecticut mansion
- Ariana Grande Addresses Fans' Shock Over Her Voice Change
- Prince William Attends Royal Ascot With Kate Middleton's Parents Amid Her Cancer Treatments
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- St. Louis police killed a juvenile after stopping a stolen car, a spokesperson says
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Missing toddler in foster care found dead in waterway near Kansas home
- Matthew McConaughey Reveals Why He Quit Hollywood for 2 Years
- Ariana Grande Addresses Fans' Shock Over Her Voice Change
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Florida medical marijuana patients get an unexpected email praising DeSantis
- New York’s ‘equal rights’ constitutional amendment restored to ballot by appeals court
- Missing hiker's brother urges increased U.S. involvement in search efforts: I just want to find my brother
Recommendation
Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
Atlantic season's first tropical storm, Alberto, expected to form over Gulf Wednesday
Kevin Durant says there are 'better candidates' than Caitlin Clark for U.S. Olympic team
Nelly and Ashanti Quietly Married 6 Months Ago
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Los Angeles school district bans use of cellphones, social media by students
Republicans block bill to outlaw bump stocks for rifles after Supreme Court lifts Trump-era ban
House Ethics Committee reviewing sexual misconduct, obstruction allegations against Matt Gaetz